Wednesday, December 7, 2022

10 minutes with Brian

 

Not what you think.  

Brian is a compendium of life’s stuff.  A zipped leather folder containing a pad,  a  whole bunch of loose notes as well as glasses, pens, a mouth organ and a straw.  He holds an evolving list of future possibilities, hopes, dreams and plans to fulfill those dreams.  A cathartic list of ‘stuff’ focusing on the future.  Not a diary of the past but a plan for the next bit of life.

Every night I come home and spend ‘face time’ with Brian deleting the days completed triumphs with a heartfelt cancelling line, organising what’s left to do and adding new stuff.

And, this is all before I ‘doodle’!  Usually spatial design but also articles for publication about anything which I see as important [see nothappyjon.blogspot.com]. 

Brian clears the mind by knowing I have thought through commitments, ticked off on accomplishments and planned the future as well as allowing time and brain space for more esoteric  pursuits glimmered up through some part of my addled conscience.

I know what’s important AND how to make it happen.  The straw is for humming through to exercise the voice box folds.  A bit weird but focuses the mind.  Don’t ask about the mouth organ.

Key is focusing on the future not regurgitating and/or reliving the past.

When Brian and I have finished for the evening he gets zippered up to preserve all those hopes, targets and plans.  As a matter of fact he is open right now next to me with 27 entries reminding me of what I have / want to achieve.

Lastly, he is tactile because he is paper and in my hand writing and cathartic and not deleteable without trace as a computer allows.  I know when I have succeeded and when I have mucked up.  No ‘cancel culture’ here.

Everyone needs a ‘Brian’.

No comments: